World Environment Day sees the official launch of Race to Zero, the global COP26 campaign to mobilize leadership and support from businesses, cities, regions, investors for a Healthy, Resilient, Zero Carbon recovery, which creates jobs, unlocks inclusive, sustainable growth and reduces the risk of future shocks.
Join live: No registration required http://ow.ly/tfnL50zWVOJ
The campaign – under the stewardship of the UN High Level Climate Champions for the UK and Chile – will rally ‘real economy’ leaders to join the largest ever coalition of leaders – from countries, businesses, cities, regions, investors, and civil society – all committed to the same overarching goal: achieving net zero emissions by 2050 at the very latest.
Already covering about a third of GDP and sounding the drumbeat to COP26, the campaign aims to reframe the innovation and growth agenda in support of a healthier, more inclusive and resilient economy – and what that will take.
Alongside the UK COP26 Presidency, the Chile COP25 Presidency, and UN Climate Change, the UN High-Level Climate Champions for UK & Chile – Nigel Topping and Gonzalo Munoz will give a platform to private sector leaders to make a range of announcements.
At this launch event we will discuss:
- Ambitions and latest plans for COP26
- COVID-19 & climate – the public health case for a resilient, inclusive, zero carbon economy
- The Race to Zero campaign: major new announcements, data, and plans to drive sector-level transformation
- Zero carbon as the new growth & leadership agenda – cities, finance & real economy pioneers
EVENT DATE AND TIME:
5 June, 12.00-13.30 BST | 07.00-08.30 ET
Nigel Topping (HL Climate Champion for UK) and Gonzalo Munoz (HL Climate Champion for Chile) will convene the event with the following participants (TBC):
- Minister Alok Sharma, COP26 President
- Minister Carolina Schmidt, COP25 President
- Minister Sergio Costa (Italian Minister for the Environment, Land and Sea Protection)
- Patricia Espinosa, UN Climate Change Executive Secretary
- Mark Carney, Finance Adviser for COP26
- Dr. Maria Neira, Director of Public Health, WHO
- Warren East, Chief Executive Officer, Rolls-Royce
- Mark Schneider, Chief Executive Officer, Nestlé